Randy's Corner Deli Library

06 April 2008

On Ultra-Orthodoxy

The problem is the Israeli Rabbinate who get to define what "Jewishness" is, as though anyone has a monopoly on the truth. I have friends who are living examples of the horror stories that Gershonberg spoke of. The political dominance of the current Israeli rabbinate is the direct result of a political compromise made, of course, in 1948, because Ben Gurion needed them to form a government. It has become a source of divisiveness and controversy and unless they let go, it will ultimately spell the end of Judaism -- look at the levels of secularity in Israel. If I had a choice between the Israeli rabbinate and secular, I'd pick secular. Is there any wonder why the Reform, Conservative and Modern Orthodox are not strong in Israel? They are not welcome relgiously; if they told me I couldn't get a religious ceremony there, I would gladly raise my middle finger at "official Judaism", too. The reality is as you say it: our commonalities far outweigh our differences, but it is not politically feasible for the Israeli Rabbinate to give it up. What's in a name? A rose by any other name smells as sweet. It's not the fault of the style-book writers that the word "ultra" has been made lingua franca. You have, thankfully, identified the problem, and it stares back at you in the mirror.

No comments: