Randy's Corner Deli Library

15 March 2008

Then Again....

This is not going to end well for O and we need not kid ourselves about that. This isn’t just about Jews. “God Damn America” isn’t going to play well in the provinces, even if the only and tenuous connection with that statement is his membership in Wright’s church. The fact that O knew about this more than a year ago and didn’t quit that church was just plain stupid. If my rabbi said, on video, that blacks belonged in trees and we still should hate Catholics for the Spanish Inquisition, I would be out of that shul in a heartbeat. But that’s just me. What would I do in the same circumstances? Quit? Maybe not; maybe. I don’t know, but he didn’t make that decision at the exact moment he should have, not now. In the end it goes to his judgment on some really touchy subjects. and that is a tragedy, because I know he is coming to us with a pure heart. If he quit his church, he would risk the wrath of Black America; if he stays, he is affirming, tragically, something that he had absolutely nothing to do with but should have, from a political viewpoint, seen coming.

No comments: